Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Language - aka "I have no idea what you just said."

Wamkelekile means Welcome!
Molweni mane ne namanenkazi, (Hello ladies and gentlemen),

As a part of  the immersion into the Xosha culture we have been learning the Xosha language. It is a beautiful and unique language that sounds like a song with interesting clicks for certain sounds.  Our instructor's name is Ron Endley and he is a patient, knowledgeable man.  He learned Xosha as a child growing up on his father's farm.  The Xosha families would come to live and work on the farm and Ron befriended the Xosha children.

It is a difficult language to learn, but the most concerning part of the language experience for me has been the accents.  Even when the Xosha people are speaking English I have a hard time understanding what they are saying.  It makes me ashamed of myself because I have often looked at our international teachers with distain because they did not seem to be understanding what I was saying.  N
ow I completely understand how they must feel when they first arrive in America. Speaking English and understanding English are two very different concepts.

Below are some of the Xosha words I have learned.  The list is small because I am not a very good student when it comes to Xosha, but ndiyazama (I am trying).


Enkosi - thank you
Molo - Hi (singular)
Molweni - Hello (plural)
Go bonnie igama locko? - What is your name?
Andiyazi - I don't know
Ewe - yes
Hayi - no
Sala kakhle - Go in peace
Heke! - Well done!
Unjani - How are you?
Ndiphilile - I am fine.

Areas in South Africa where Xosha is used.


No comments:

Post a Comment