Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Don't Judge an Opportunity by the Cover

Day one-July 16, 2016
Htlemeza Primary School in Uitenhage
Organization coordinating the volunteers at Htlemeza Primary School 
Tiles put in by some of the CFIE staff
My meal at the Blue Water restaurant and it cost less than $7! 
We painted in the preschool library pictures that had already been drawn on the walls.

What we did:  We were told that the day's plan was to paint a school and I was envisioning rollers, ladders, and masking tape.  I was not looking forward to the activity.  As it turned out it was a load of fun.  Since Nelson Mandela Day would be celebrated on his birthday, Monday, July 18th,  many South Africans participate in the 67  minutes for Mandela.  The premise is to volunteer in the community for 67 minutes on the Saturday before Nelson Mandala  Day.  We painted the preschool library and put up tiles in the newly added bathrooms.  The students had been using outhouses and the ditch before these bathrooms were installed. Other volunteers were planting a garden, painting the outside of the buildings, landscaping and painting pictures in other classrooms.  

We left the school and explored the boardwalk area around our bed and breakfast.  We found the office where you can exchange your American Dollars for South African Rands.  We ate at the Blue Waters restaurant and we walked to the grocery store looking for distilled water and electrical adapters.  FYI the distilled water was at the bed and breakfast for free!

What I think:South Africans have a much greater sense of service to their communities than we do in the United States. I felt good volunteering and helping out in a community that is thousands of miles away from home.  Why do I not find a way to volunteer in my own community?  I give my time freely to my students, but there are definitely more needs in Jacksonville that need to by addressed.  Figuring out how much money I am spending when I spend it is tough with one dollar equaling 14.37 Rands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment