Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Preparing


July 11,2016






Mrs. Clark Goes to South Africa


Welcome to my blog!  I am a fourth grade teacher who is preparing to go on an adventure of a lifetime. In three days, I will board a plane with eleven other teachers from my school, Carolina Forest International Elementary in Jacksonville, NC. Sit back and enjoy the ride as we learn, teach, and change for a month in Port Elizabeth, South Africa

What I am doing:  I love the color purple and it was a grand find to go to Walmart and found this beautiful seven pound  luggage.  I immediately drove home and get the black suitcase my parents had bought me for Christmas and returned it.  I then became the proud owner of two beautiful purple suitcases.  They are packed and ready to go with blue and yellow distinguishing ribbon.

What I know:  There are 12 teachers going to South Africa from Jacksonville, North Carolina.  We were handed picked by educational staff from the University of North Carolina out of Wilmington, North Carolina.  One of the professors at UNCW wrote a grant proposal for this trip and we were selected. What an honor!
     The country of South Africa has a rich history and many racial struggles comparable to the United States.  However, there is more poverty and the equal rights movement is much younger in South Africa then in the U.S.  South Africans have a strong belief in herbs and plants used for medicinal purposes and there is still a mystical belief that is entrenched in medicines.  Kaffir Boy is one of the book that we read to prepare for the expedition. This book was an eye opening account of growing up in pre-apartheid South Africa and impacted my way of thinking about true poverty and the disadvantaged of the world.
What I think: I am preparing myself for an eye opening and enlightening experience.  I am overwhelmed by the thoughts of staying in Africa for a month.  I believe that I will return a better person with an awareness that most Americans will not understand.  I am honored to be chosen to go on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment