Saturday, July 16, 2016

Trippin'

Airport at Port Elizabeth
The plane we took to Johannesburg, Africa


.
Artwork drawn by children at the Atlanta Airport
Before the trip began

First plane and Atlanta Airport

Yvonne why are you taking pictures of me?!

At the end of the trip

Out the window over Johannesburg 

We ate at the T.G.I. Friday s



What I did: The trip was so long!  The 15 hour trip between Atlanta, Georgia and Johannesburg, South Africa was tough, but going halfway around the world for education has to say volumes about our dedication to the cause of global integration. My favorite part of the trip was eating the sizzling chicken at T.G.I. Friday's.  My least favorite part of the trip was having the seat belt cutting into my gut throughout the whole flight.  Seems to me like those two things could be related. What do you think?

     The trip started in Wilmington, North Carolina at 1:30 p.m. when we checked our bags and get our boarding passes.  During the 45 minute flight to Atlanta we were served pretzels, peanuts, and a drink.  I sit beside Helen Gross.  We arrived in Atlanta around 4:30 p.m.   We had time on our hands so we ate and exchanged $200 U.S. dollars to 2475 South African Rand.  Then the fun began, we boarded the 15 and half hour trip to Johannesburg, South Africa.  They turn off the lights and you try to sleep.  It is a crazy notion that people can actually sleep on a plane in the economy class.  I have never been on a flight longer than 2 hours.  It was an unique affair.  Finally arriving in Africa we made a slow progression through customs and boarded South African Airways to Port Elizabeth.

    This was by far the most interesting flight I took because I sit between two black South African business men.  We sit in silence until almost the end of the trip when I offered them both a piece of chewing gum and immediately the doors of two way communication were opened.  The questions! Oh my!  The purple print is my response. Who will you vote for?  I am not sure I will vote. Why do people like Donald Trump? Fear makes people do strange things. What are people afraid of? In my opinion the media has caused people to become hyper sensitive to the events that are going around them.  Every news report is trying to evoke some sort of reaction from the people and most of the time that reaction is anger or fear. Who is ahead in the poles? Hillary Clinton is ahead, but Donald Trump is gaining ground. Why is there so much violence? Humans are violent by nature. Cain killed Able and we have been killing each other every since.What is the cause of the violence?  I believe it goes back to the family unit and the lack of respect that children are allowed to have with their parents.  It continues to breed disrespect and hate for each other,  This is truly a shame because we are all human beings trying to make our own way and life is hard enough without hating each other.

What I thought:  I was extremely intimidated by sitting between the two black South African men.  I got anxious and started doing internal groans as soon as I saw my sit.  After the plane ride, I was ashamed of myself because these two men turned out to be friendly and more intelligent then many people that I have sat beside in North Carolina. 


No comments:

Post a Comment